What is Colon Hydrotherapy?
It is also known as colonics. They are safe and gentle infusion of warm filtered water in the rectum for therapeutic cleansing and corrective purposes. The treatments in our clinic use no chemicals or drugs. The purpose is to flush accumulated fecal waste, harmful bacteria, intestinal parasites, gas, and mucus from the colon with water only.
This is a restorative, painless procedure, which is highly effective and incredibly beneficial.
What are the benefits?
Despite daily eliminations, many people are not aware that they may have a bowel problem. Very often, the complete length of the colon is impacted with old, hardened fecal matter leaving only a narrow channel of the small, softer feces to pass through.
Here are just some of the benefits that you will notice:
- Improvement in your whole digestive function
- Less bloating and gas
- More clarity and alertness
- Less inflammation, headaches, aches & pains
- Clearer skin – ie acne, eczema
- Better bowel movements
- Elimination of candida, parasites and ammonia
- Better liver function
- Better absorption of water and nutrients – The colon just becomes more efficient!
What to expect during the visit?
While the patient lies comfortably on an examining table, a short disposable speculum is inserted only into the beginning of the rectum. The therapist then monitors the temperature of the water infused into and out of the large intestine. Water is allowed to flow, under gentle pressure, into the colon in order to cleanse the colon of toxic waste. The colon is filled with water and emptied repeatedly, thereby promoting proper peristaltic action. Alternating the water temperature from warm to cool serves to increase the cleansing action and strengthens the muscular walls. Colonics cleanses the entire colon of built up and old waste; without causing stress to the individual.
You can expect your colonic treatment to be a gentle and comfortable procedure.
At the clinic, disposable speculums are used for the patient’s safety and comfort. The package of the disposable speculum (a.k.a. proctoscopes) and tubing used with each session is opened right before the treatment in front of each patient. The water used, first goes through a double filtering system in order to remove all the chlorine and any sediments. All the waste material is eliminated through the instrument to a drain line avoiding any offensive odours during the treatment.
Who should not receive colonics?
Patients suffering from:
- Severe cardiac disease (uncontrolled hypertension or congestive heart failure)
- Acute inflammation of the colon (ie active diverticulitis, Crohn’s disease, etc)
- Bleeding- ie hemorrhage (if it is actively bleeding, we do recommend to wait until it has healed)
- Tumours or cysts of the colon or rectum
- Inguinal hernias
- Recent surgery in abdomen (we recommend to wait at least 2 months after the surgery)
- Pregnancy (especially in the first trimester)
- Renal Insufficiency
How many treatments do I need? How often should a person get a colonic?
A series of colonics helps facilitate an improved colon function and general all around health.
If you have the history of constipation, you may find that the first couple of treatments are usually loosens old fecal matter that may be impacted in the walls of the colon. It is by the third and fourth session that we start seeing a lot more releases. The actual number of colonics depends on each person’s lifestyle, diet, health history, use of medication, frequency of bowel movements, etc.
Packages available at the clinic!!
What is the difference between a colonic and an enema?
Enemas and colonics are based on the same basic principle: both are methods used to flush waste from the colon via a speculum.
During an enema however, water only travels approximately 6 to 8 inches up the colon, is held briefly, and almost immediately expelled. It is more uncomfortable and because it is a self-administration method, it is harder for the person to feel relaxed during the procedure.
Colonics tend to be more soothing and thorough. Water entering the body travels through the colon and exits into the waste tube in a continuous flow. In this way, water is able to travel the entire length of the colon (approximately 5 feet), reaching all the way to the cecum, the farthermost region of the colon where waste matter and parasites typically settle. There are no messes or offensive odours during the procedure.
What are the advantages of colonics vs enemas?
- Because water flows continuously in and out of the body, a much greater quantity of water, between 10 and 50 litres, is flushed through the colon. This allows water to completely permeate the folds of the colon and to saturate the impacted waste throughout the entire length of the colon.
- Water filling the space within the colon exerts a slight pressure against the muscle tissue of the colon wall, stimulating muscle action which provides exercise for the colon muscle, helping to tone and reshape a weakened colon.
- The therapist is the one responsible for administering the colonic, allowing the patient to receive the treatment to remain relaxed and comfortable without concern for the mechanical aspects of the procedure.